Re: [opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed KDE (Kmail)
On Thu, Aug 04, 2011 at 01:26:00AM -0700, seso wrote:

I had a similar situation - It was not X that was prevented from startup (kdm
launched) but logging in with my user just threw me back immediately at the
login screen.

In $HOME/.xsession-errors I found the cause - it was libassuan .

libassuan has been updated in tumbleweed and the kde packages in tumbleweed
seem to require that new version - or KDE crashes immediately. In my case,
the lib was still from the standard opensuse repository. After installing
the tumbleweed one, login worked again.

Why wouldn't you have installed the tumbleweed one? You always have to
do a 'zypper dup' with Tumbleweed, where some packages move to the
Tumbleweed repo as needed (like in this case, it was required.)

So a simple 'zypper dup' should solve this, right?

Why aren't people updating in this manner in the first place?

thanks,

greg k-h