Re: [opensuse-factory] New package hdjmod
On Sun, Jul 03, 2011 at 05:12:44PM +0200, Matthias Bach wrote:
Am Mittwoch, 29. Juni 2011 schrieb Larry Finger:
On 06/29/2011 02:58 PM, Matthias Bach wrote:
I would like to introduce hdjmod to Factory. Hdjmod is a kernel module
providing support for Hercules DJ Devices (USB MIDI device). The package
has been available in Contrib for quite a while and is now in hardware.

Having the will broaden the distributions hardware support.

Is there a good reason why this driver is being maintained outside the
kernel?

I think submitting it to the official maintainers would be better, then all
distros would have access. If the coding quality is not good enough, then
perhaps it can be added to staging, where the standards are much lower.

To be honest, there is probably no good reason to keep this driver outside
the
kernel. I read Greg's response, however I wouldn't know the reason he
mentioned.

Ok, fair enough, send me a patch that adds the driver to
drivers/staging/ in the correct format (documented in
Documentation/SubmittingPatches), and I will be glad to queue it up for
the 3.1 kernel merge.

Fact is however, that the vendor released the driver outsided of kernel and
since then maintainers keep patching it for various distributions. While I
myself would love to see it in vanilla I also see that the overhead of
getting
into "the submit code to kernel process" and that the driver wouldn't reach
vanilla in time for 12.1.

Nope, see above, I can get it in very quickly into the staging tree
which should meet the 12.1 deadline just fine.

thanks,

greg k-h