Re: [opensuse-factory] Are there plans for changing the default browser?
On Tuesday, June 28, 2011 08:02:41 AM Martin Schlander wrote:
Tirsdag den 28. juni 2011 16:27:25 skrev Wolfgang Rosenauer:
Am 28.06.2011 16:13, schrieb Kim Leyendecker:
I want to ask you, f there some plans to change the default browser.
The background of that is, that Mozilla, and the new model of
development, could be a factor of more work for our packagers and
testers.

Switching to another browser by default could be more easy to us,
because Firefox could be a potential breaker for the next releases (I
remember, that there where several add-ons which didin´t worked with FF
4 and now doesn´t for with FF 5 too.

Maybe a change from Firefox to Iceweasel could be the solution. From my
point of view, Mozilla is doing a lot wrong from the release of Firefox
4.0 till today and this could destroy the goal, to deliver a *stable*
release.

I agree that the release policy can be an issue. There are a lot of pros
and cons but how do you think Iceweasel would help in any way?
It's just an unbranded Firefox.

So you haven't answered the most important question. Which browser
should be the default browser?

Shouldn't the choice of default browser be made by the respective desktop
teams (kde, gnome etc.) anyway?
I say, let the Gnome team keep Firefox... though Chromium could be a shiny
alternative. AN d I fully support Rekonq on KDE. Its a little rough around the
edges, but is quite functional.