Re: [opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed systemd does not allow my computer to boot with /usr on a separate partition
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 14:21:05 -0400
On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, 2011-06-19 at 19:23 +0200, Jos Poortvliet wrote:
On Sunday 19 June 2011 18:23:08 Roman Bysh wrote:
On 06/19/2011 11:46 AM, Bruno Friedmann wrote:
On 06/19/2011 05:38 PM, Roman Bysh wrote:
Hello all,

I recently installed systemd-18-1.2.4 and systemd-sysvinit-18-1.2.4 on
Tumbleweed. However, during the reboot the system stalled.

My system setup always has /usr in a separate partition. Is this the
reason for the system stalling during the reboot?

I could not recover. Is there a way to recover from this?

Cheers!

Roman

yeap if you have followed the systemd thread separate /usr is not the
best way to get it working actually. last time I fail with systemd I've
booted with 1 at the end of the line, remove systemd then add sysv-init
from local rpm But didn't know all the details, sorry

I wish I hadn't missed that thread. I didn’t know about adding the number
"1" at the end of the kernel options line in Grub workaround. Good to know
:-)

However, it's a good thing to remember when I'm on forums.opensuse.org.

Coming from SysV, I'm sure we're not the only ones using a separate /usr
partition.

And, I'm wondering if it's a limitation, or temporary bug ;-)

systemd does not support a separate /usr partition. This was a decision of
the
devs - according to them there are lots of weird corner cases with /usr on a
separate partition and you shouldn't want it.

See: http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken

Systemd itself does not need anything in /usr, and does not miss any
support for it by itself. But a lot stuff around systemd like D-Bus, and
udev rules can't work reliably with a separate /usr.

With systemd the service dependencies get a lot more strict, and stuff
that failed in that area in the past and didn't cause any major
problems, causes problems now.

Some udev rules never really worked with a separate /usr, it was just
that people who did that usually had no dependencies on devices like 3G
modems, complexer NetworkManager setup, sound, ...

Separate /usr partitions will just need to be mounted from inside the
initramfs in the future.

Kay

Kay,

I don't see a discusion of separate /usr on:

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Systemd
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Systemd_status

Is there a openSUSE commitment to support that. And if so, what will
the limitations be.

It would nice to get that info onto one of the above pages.

Greg