Re: [opensuse-factory] The road to systemd for openSUSE 12.1
  • From: Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 12:17:37 +0200
On Thu, 2011-06-16 at 22:33 -0400, Robert Xu wrote:
On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 09:09, Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxx> wrote:

In the future we want /etc/defaults and /etc/sysconfig, and all the
other friends distros invented to die. :)

I don't like that, actually - I always thought this was a strong point for
SuSE.
Being able to keep these options in once place.

Yeah, and they will still be in one place in the future, and that place
is just /etc. :)

Having 2 competing config files for most of the services doesn't sound
very convincing.

And as we doubt that anybody can convince or patch all the upstream
projects to switch to the /etc/sysconfig/ format only, we better step
back and use the current native files, to have only one instance that
needs to be configured.

Kay