Re: [opensuse-factory] Network Install Efficiency
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 10:09:06 +0200
Cristian Rodríguez wrote:

El 06/06/11 23:27, Andrew Joakimsen escribió:
I think the network installer isn't very efficient with bandwidth
usage:
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/5331/networkinstallbandwidth.png I
think the install time could be cut down significantly. On an average
broadband connection (6mbps) there's nowhere near maximum
utilization.

Can't see that image, but yes, the network installation apparently
does not have parallel download support.

Isn't that up to the metalinks to "arrange" ? Not parallel-by-package,
but judging from my proxy logs, the download via metalink means getting
different chunks from different places and in parallel. As far as I
have understood, the idea is to spread the download over multiple
servers to maximize bandwidth utilization.
(the image worked for me).

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (18.5°C)