Re: [opensuse-factory] Cronie as default cron in Factory
On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 04:36:58PM +0200, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
Am Mon, 6 Jun 2011 10:15:39 +0200
schrieb Vitezslav Cizek <vcizek@xxxxxxx>:

The old cron manual said:
"If the uid of the owner is 0 (root), he can put a "-" as first character
of a crontab entry.
This will prevent cron from writing a syslog message about this command
getting executed."

But as you say, it worked even for unprivileged users' crontabs.
(Probably a bug in old cron).

As I see it,
The current cronie behaviour is correct.

Well.
I would argue that "correct" in this case would be to not disable logging,
but to still execute the command. Principle of least surprise. Maybe
additionally log a warning that this is going to no longer work in
after dec 31 2020 or something like that.

I meant "correct" as "cron was intended to behave like that".

Submitted a fixed cron package:

crontab.5 now includes:
"If the uid of the owner is 0 (root), he can put a "-" as first
character of a crontab entry. This will prevent cron from
writing a syslog message about this command getting executed."

Also, when an unprivileged user uses the dash, cron
complains about incorrect minute, instead of an invalid option.

Crontabs not working after upgrade which did work fine before is IMHO
nothing I'd call "correct".

You're right.
But as this behaviour was caused by a bug, I think it should be fixed.

--
Vita Cizek
< Previous Next >