Re: [opensuse-factory] The update-alternatives confuser
On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 02:49:44PM +0100, Sid Boyce wrote:
Right, I had openjdk installed but I had an application that required
Sun java which I installed using zypper.
Next I tried using update-alternatives, no worky.
Read and re-read the manpage which is very wordy but leaves me clueless.
I googled and eventually stumbled upon "update-alternatives --all" which
offered options that allowed me to select java-1_6_0-sun, but javac was
still pointing to openjdk.
"zypper in java-1_6_0-sun-devel" and automatically it righted everything.

Over the years I've found update-alternatives to be very confusing and I
wish the manpage at least had a few useful examples. I think I'll have
to find the maintainer and make suggestions as until now I've not had
any luck reading the manpage and making SWAGs (Scientific Wild Ass
Guesses - Trademark -- Amdahl Corporation).

So the SUN "javac" was not yet installed, making it quite hard for
update-alternatives to find ;)

Ciao, MArcus