Re: [opensuse-factory] HAL and related
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 18:49:02 -0400
On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 5:23 PM, Kim Leyendecker
<kimleyendecker@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Am 01.06.2011 23:12, schrieb Jeff Mahoney:

It's a release that's considered dead by its own maintainers. I can
understand users wanting to stick with it, but we shouldn't make it an
easy option for new users.

Again and again, KDE3 is still alive via Trinity. I can understand, that
Trinity isn´t so popular, but if we would ship it as a KDE3 alternative
(Yeah, KDE3 is still in our repos, why not delivering Trinity instead?
 http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE3/openSUSE_11.4/)

thanks

Kim (and all),

For clarity, KDE3 is not just "still in our repos", the openSUSE KDE3
community packagers/maintainers have been keeping it active and
workable all the way up through openSUSE 11.4.

It's not just a matter of chance, it is real people doing real work.
That is exactly what the opensuse do-ocracy is about. Those that do,
get to decide.

If anything, the current openSUSE KDE3 developers should get
recognition. It is exactly contributors like them that deserve on of
your interviews. That is true community contributors that as far as I
know are not getting paid.

It is clear the current real and active openSUSE KDE3 maintainers
think moving to trinity is a bad idea, primarily because its not a
released product yet.

If you or anyone else feels that's a wrong decision, then go for a
Trinity port and when your done announce your success, but I very much
am of the understanding openSUSE lets the do'ers decide. In this case
Ilya Chernykh is the main do'er, so he gets to decide what's in the
KDE3 repo he maintains, not me or you.

The only question the rest of us have any say so in is if his repo
should be pushed into Factory and therefore if it is part of openSUSE
12.1 OSS and updates will go to openSUSE 12.1 updates.

Given the IIya and team have proven their willingness to support KDE3
abd have done so for at least the 18-months of a release cycle
already, I argue it should be included unless there is a resource
issue on the distro DVD.

Greg