[opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed: /etc/zypp/vendors.d/tumbleweed
On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 2:09 AM, Anil Seth <seth.anil@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

Thanks very much.

On 3 April 2011 03:53, Christian Boltz <opensuse@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The good news is that there's a way to allow specific vendor changes
with zypper up (zypper handles them as being the same vendor).
Credits go to the Evergreen team, they recommend this way on
http://en.opensuse.org/Evergreen#How_to_activate

In short, create a file /etc/zypp/vendors.d/evergreen with the following
two lines:

[main]
vendors = openSUSE Evergreen,suse,opensuse

If you replace "openSUSE Evergreen" with tumbleweed (use the exact
Vendor: tag!), zypper should pick up new tumbleweed packages when
running zypper up.

I hope I got the vendor tag right -
obs://build.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Tumbleweed

I will wait for additional packages in Tumbleweed to be sure that I
got it right.

Regards
Anil

So is the above going to be Tumbleweed standard practice?

ie. update user's machine config to allow "zypper up" to update from
OSS to Tumbleweed packages without making a big deal of it to the
user.

If so, I can update the wiki page, but it would be nice to get a
better repo designator for Tumbleweed than the current one.

I believe it's currently:
obs://build.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Tumbleweed
The Evergreen project has it as just Evergreen without the prefix.

But a big negative is that it also means packages can be "upgraded"
from tumbleweed to a online update without the user being notified
that something unusual is happening.

In particular, a issue like the virtual-box one where the online
update had a larger version number than the one in tumbleweed would
cause problems / failures without even asking the user if it was okay.

It's not clear to me if the version number conflict issue was resolved
or not. If resolved, I like the "zypper up" approach instead of the
"zypper dup --from Tumbleweed" approach.

==> details

It's been working good for Evergreen as far as I know. (I'm on the
Evergreen list.)

Based on the Evergreen wiki page, the Tumbleweed wiki page would just
get the below update: (Hopefully without the
"obs://build.opensuse.org/openSUSE:" part.

======
create a file /etc/zypp/vendors.d/tumbleweed with the following content

[main]
vendors = obs://build.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Tumbleweed,suse,opensuse

You can do this from the command line by cutting and pasting the
below. You will need to enter the root password for sudo to complete.

cat > /tmp/tmp.tumbleweed << EOF
[main]
vendors = obs://build.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Tumbleweed,suse,opensuse
EOF
sudo mkdir /etc/zypp/vendors.d
sudo cp /tmp/tmp.tumbleweed /etc/zypp/vendors.d/tumbleweed

Afterward you should get available updates when you use sudo zypper up.

======

Greg