Re: [opensuse-factory] Can we see BTRFS as the default in the next version of openSUSE 11.5-12.0
  • From: Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 16:25:52 +0100
Am 19.03.2011 22:21 schrieb Jeff Mahoney:
Honestly, the feature that has the most interest for me is the
subvolumes. The upshot is that you create one partition, create a btrfs
on it, and then create subvolumes. They all use the same shared storage
pool. You can add additional disks to expand it and all subvolumes have
access to the new space. This means I'm not staring at the 10 GB I have
free on /home while always doing rpm -e kernel-source during zypper
dup's because my / is too small.

Is there any advantage of btrfs over a bunch of ext3 filesystems on different lvm logical volumes? The lvm pv is a storage pool, and I can resize each lv (containing one ext3 each) as needed, so the problem you described does not happen for me.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--
http://www.hailfinger.org/