Re: [opensuse-factory] Can we see BTRFS as the default in the next version of openSUSE 11.5-12.0
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 17:42:58 -0400
On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 3:56 PM, Roman Bysh <rbtc1@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 03/19/2011 03:23 PM, Jeff Mahoney wrote:
Btrfs will benefit users because it has built in *elastic* volume management
via subvolumes. This means that users get the flexibility of having
"separate" file systems without having to pre-determine how much space to
allocate to each.

Built-in snapshots that don't use a pool of storage outside the filesystem
to do the copy-on-write, like LVM snapshots use, mean that "zypper dup" can
be rolled back. It should be possible to make this part of the process so
it's seamless to the user.

There's more, but writing an email on my mobile kinda sucks.

-Jeff

--
Jeff Mahoney
(mobile)