Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: Can we see BTRFS as the default in the next version of openSUSE 11.5-12.0
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 13:52:46 -0400

On 03/15/2011 09:52 AM, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 12:12:55 -0400
Jeff Mahoney <jeffm@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Did you look at: "http://lwn.net/Articles/393144/";?

That article, especially the title, is just sensationalism.

Strange, I thought it was a look at the charges which focused mainly on
the reality of the situation and concluded that no redesign was needed.
When kernel developers are unhappy with what I write, I tend to hear about
it; I got no such complaints from the Btrfs folks.

I don't know why Joerg saw fit to point it out; perhaps he didn't read
past the headline?  How about this as an article more relevant to the
discussion?

      http://lwn.net/Articles/429466/

Hi Jon -

I wondered if I'd hear from you about that comment. I'm an LWM
subscriber and definitely have enjoyed reading your efforts over the
years. My opinion on your original article mostly benefits from
hindsight and was more of a reaction to the context in which Joerg was
posting it. The report was an accurate summary of the discussions at the
time and did help spawn the discussions that ultimately address those
questions. Given that he linked to that article instead of the one you
mentioned, I don't think it was his intention to point out that the
issues had been addressed already.

Your recent article addresses most of the concerns I have with using
btrfs as a default file system except for the lack of error handling.
Community distributions run mostly on lower end commodity hardware which
experience shows can be of less than perfect reliability. In most cases,
btrfs's error handling currently consists of BUG_ON. With a fsck still
under development, it seems premature to make that combination the default.

- -Jeff

- --
Jeff Mahoney

The grub2 issue in the linked article seems like a major roadblock.

I think btrfs for boot/root be shelved from a openSUSE perspective
until that is addressed.

Is it an option to consider btrfs as the default filesystem for other
partitions only?

Greg