Re: [opensuse-factory] 11.5 vs. 12.0
  • From: Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 21:52:39 +0100
Auf 12.03.2011 11:23, Stefan Seyfried schrieb:
On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 01:22:58 +0100
Carl-Daniel Hailfinger<c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Only if your BIOS is crap. I've seen server boards which spent>2
minutes in the BIOS, and once the BIOS was replaced with coreboot, the
delay magically shrunk to 3-4 seconds (for a big multiprocessor board
with all RAM slots populated). With coreboot, the limiting factor is
Depends on how you define "big" and how many "all" means in number.

4 CPU packages, and 16 DIMM slots, but that was some time ago.

XEN also needs a long time to clean the memory on start and while I'm not
suggesting that XEN is doing everything in the best way, and I have no
idea of the current memory bandwidth, but assume 20GB/second and you'll
need at least one minute to clear memory.

Wow, you have a machine with 1.2 Terabytes RAM?
Assuming a RAM module size of 16 GB (biggest I could find), this means at least 75 RAM modules. Could you tell me which x86 board you're talking about? I'm curious because even the Tyan S8232 showcased at Cebit maxes out at 768 GB RAM.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--
http://www.hailfinger.org/