Re: [opensuse-factory] 11.5 vs. 12.0
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 17:01:54 -0500
On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 4:52 PM, Vahis <waxborg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 03/11/2011 11:39 PM, jdd wrote:

Le 11/03/2011 20:17, Vahis a écrit :

On 03/11/2011 08:58 PM, jdd wrote:

jdd
nb: not to say every 20 starts, full fsk...

That can easily be changed:

not sure it's a good idea on a server. On this box, I *need* a safe
reboot, better wait than have a corrupted filesystem... also there is
an UPS question regarding boot/stop

But if the full check is automatic after some number of mounts you don't
have the control over it.

I prefer the check when _I_ want it, not the system.

The journal is checked at every boot and if there's a problem(s) you'll be
prompted to do a manual check, which is fine.

I'm talking about automatic _full_ check which I dislike and disable.

Ted Tso (the ext4 maintainer) recommends for servers:

1) No auto fsck

2) Put FS on LVM

3) Routinely (from cron) make a snapshot

4) fsck the snapshot and check for errors

5) If errors, notify admin so they can schedule down time to run fsck
and fix them.

Greg