Re: [opensuse-factory] Packaging confusion
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 18:29:46 -0500
On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 6:02 PM, Thomas Keller <me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all!

I'm a happy oS 11.3 user and package software for oS on which I work on
my spare time. This worked quite well in the past and I successfully saw
my packages (amongst them the monotone package) built and published in
the common repositories through the buildservice.

However, since the release of 11.4 and advent of the new Tumbleweed
repository I must say I am slightly confused. I tried to check if my
package is somehow actually shipped with oS 11.4 through
software.opensuse.org/search, but instead of finding links to the 11.4
standard repository, all I found were links to individual projects, in
my case devel:tools:scm (heck, even for "popular" packages like
MozillaThunderbird I was unable to find a reference to a "standard"
repository).

Looks to me like there is a problem or change of functionality with
software.opensuse.org/search

Searching for packages built for 11.3 shows the standard 11.3 repo.

Doing the same for 11.4 only shows devel directories

So all this bears the following questions to me - keep in mind that I
haven't yet switched to 11.4:

1) What standard repositories are accessible from a fresh 11.4
installation, i.e. will a user be able to quickly install a package he
is missing from a base installation like monotone without the additional
step of adding the devel:tools:scm repo to his list of repositories? Is
the Tumbleweed repository one of the default repositories in 11.4?

Works as before. Tumbleweed is not yet even listed in the community
repos list in yast. It has to be manually added at this point. See
the Tumbleweed page on the wiki.

2) Where am I supposed to submit-request package updates and new
packages to in the future? openSUSE:Factory and / or openSUSE:Tumbleweed?

You must first submit to factory. Current factory SRs will get into
11.5 (12.0) just as in the past

If you also want to see your (monotone?) factory submission go to
tumbleweed it is a separate process and can only be done AFTER your
package/SR is accepted into factory.

I believe you can just SR it from your devel repo to Tumbleweed once
you see it hit factory and are comfortable that it is stable.
Remember Tumbleweed is meant for stable packages much more so than
factory.

3) What packages are accepted in the Tumbleweed repository? I quickly
skimmed over the repo and saw that it only contains a very small set of
packages - is this open for everybody or does there have to be some
consent that a package is picked for inclusion here?

Tumbleweed was reset to empty as of 11.4's going gold a few days ago.
ie. Tumbleweed and 11.4 were identical at the moment 11.4 went gold
and the Tumbleweed repo only has "newer" packages in it, so it was by
definition empty.

As new stable packages hit factory their maintainers can ask Greg KH
to get them into Tumbleweed (via SR or he can do a pull via
branching). I think factory was released from the 11.4 freeze a week
or two ago, so there are a few stable packages already there that are
not in 11.4

Thanks in advance for your answers and keep up the good work.
Thomas.

Greg