Re: [opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed status Feb 3, 2011
On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 02:30:19PM -0500, todd rme wrote:
On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 11:08 AM, Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 12:46:44AM -0500, todd rme wrote:
On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 11:59 PM, Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 05:35:02AM +0100, Cristian Morales Vega wrote:
When Hans asked about "the add-on repo's of the OBS" I wasn't thinking
about "backport repos". I was thinking about those packages that
aren't in Factory, so probably neither in Tumbleweed. Most from the
games repository fall in this category. Another question would be why
those packages aren't in Factory... But anyway OK, we were just
talking about different things.

Yes, please always remember, one of the requirements for Tumbleweed is
that the package already be in Factory.

The whole point is that a lot of people use packages that aren't in
factory.  packman is a perfect example.  So are the games repository,
education repository, science repository, various unstable
repositories, and many others.  There are valid use-cases for using
all of these repos.  But there is a very good chance that the packages
built against, for instance, 11.4 will not work with tumbleweed, and
at the very least you can't count on them working.  You are basically
forcing people who use tumbleweed to use the core packages and nothing
else.

No, not at all, you can set tumbleweed to be your repo you build against
today.  I just did it and tested that it worked properly, so I don't see
the problem here, do you?

thanks,

greg k-h

As I explained already, this is a lot more complicated and requires
you to modify the build targets every time a new version of openSUSE
is released.

It will require _me_ to change the Tumbleweed build target, but that's
the only one it will bother, right? I have to do that anyway, so I
don't see the issue here at all.

confused,

greg k-h