Re: [opensuse-factory] accepted licences
On 02/02/2011 03:33 PM, Ciaran Farrell wrote:
On Wednesday 02 Feb 2011 13:32:46 jdd wrote:

Hello,

I always try to make things better. This other thread I don't want to
quote makes me ask if there is somewhere

* a list of the licences openSUSE accepts for free (OSS) repository
* a list of the licences accepted for the non free repository (non-OSS)
* a list of the licence openSUSE refuses at all

preferably motivated

we, at the LDP, did something similar with the result here
(http://wiki.tldp.org/LdpWikiDefaultLicence) - it's just an example,
as openSUSE have to cope non only with texts but also with programms.

We shouldn't have to refere to any non-openSUSE page for that matter.
Of course if this don't yet exists, it should be created with the
backup of Novell lawyers if possible

jdd

There is currently no official list. We had some discussions about creating
one. In doing so, we found ourselves to be leaning close to what Fedora has
already put together, both from the licenses that they have, how they
classify
them, why they classify them as well as the RPM license tags that they use.

The openSUSE project currently accepts licenses conforming to the OSI
definition (individual licenses, I mean - I'm not addressing
combinations/derivations/collections). There are exceptions where the package
in question contains freely redistributable firmware that is unmodifiable
(mostly wireless firmware) or data/content only.

Thus, if somebody wants to start such a page on the openSUSE wiki, I'd be
glad
to help out with it.

Ciaran

One of the new two new packages I've submitted to factory bears the
text in the copying file :
The LV2 header lv2.h is licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public
License,

version 2.1 or later. See the included file COPYING.LGPL for
details.

The LV2 data file lv2.ttl is licensed under a BSD-style license, see
the

header at the top of lv2.ttl for details.

What should I put in the License: field?
Thanks
Dave P