Re: [opensuse-factory] Fwd: [opensuse-multimedia] wodim/cdrecord
On Feb 01, 11 16:34:03 +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:
Stephan Kleine <bitdealer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
simply dual licensing his software and instead prefers to troll the web
over
this issue.

A dual CDDL / GPL license would indeed be extremly helpful also from my
point of view.

Sorry, but you seem to be insufficiently informed about the legal background.
There is a single person who claims that there is a "legal problem" with the
original software, but that person did never send any legal proof for his
claim.

We would not need to discuss this age old issue, if we had a dual license
in place to just confirm that there is no problem. Currently, we are unsure,
if you want your CDDL-licensed work to be linkable with GPL-licensed
work. If you want to give this discussion a happy-ending you can say
"let's go dual". This may seem redundant to you, but not to everybody else.

Conclusion: you ask for a fix to a non-existent problem.
The uncertainty is the well-existing problem.
It needs fixing, please help us with that one.

Trusting in "hints" to external review authorities may or may not be
sufficient for everybody. I cannot say, we have not tried.
A courtesy from the copyright-owner would be a much stronger token.

What we however need, is some sort of defense against attacks against
OpenSource projects that are only based on libel and slander.....

This one is unclear to me. I fail to see how a license could protect
against being badmouthed.

thanks,
JW-

\ | 0911 74053-508 __/ (____/ /\