Re: [opensuse-factory] installing 11.3 on media >2Tb
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 14:05:43 -0500
On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 12:55 PM, Stefan Seyfried
<stefan.seyfried@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 09:01:09 -0600
Larry Finger <Larry.Finger@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

As this drive was my second WD Green 1 TB drive, I did not expect any
problems,
thus I installed, partitioned, and formatted it normally. Only when the
performance took a major hit did I discover the nuances of the model number.

Now you're scaring me. Which WD Green 1TB drives are 4k and which are
old-fashioned?

I have a WD10EADS and it has only one partition on it:

server:~ # parted /dev/sdc print
Model: ATA WDC WD10EADS-00L (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdc: 1000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B

Assuming the drive is telling the truth, its the traditional style
512B physical sector.

The new drives should report 512B/4096B I believe.

But those green drives are nasty regardless. They tend to have very
short idle periods before unloading the head. I've even seen error
reports in windows where they cause applications to malfunction.
Truly bad drives IMHO.

I think the smart param that tracks the issue is Load_Cycle_Count.
Most drives are only rated for 50,000 or so of those per lifetime.
The green drives without special handling under linux will use those
up in a year.

Personally I just avoid the green drives like the plague, but since
you have one you should look into Load_Cycle_Count and if its too
high get your drive added to "storage.fixup" I don't know if that's
in kernel or userspace, but it is a config file, etc. that is used to
tell the linux kernel that the drive is not well behaved and to take
special action to keep it from unloading the heads excessively.

Tejun Heo is the maintainer for storage.fixup I believe.

Greg