Re: [opensuse-factory] systemd
  • From: Peter Czanik <pczanik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 11:59:07 +0100
Hello,

On 12/14/2010 11:42 AM, Kay Sievers wrote:
On Tue, 2010-12-14 at 11:36 +0100, Peter Czanik wrote:

Hello,

On 12/14/2010 10:27 AM, Kay Sievers wrote:

I just had a few more kernel panics mentioning different applications,
so I suspect that it's rather something kernel related.

Yeah, could be. It is not unlikely, that the massive parallel startup
makes such problems more apparent. A few others have reported similar
issues.

Without systemd the same system easily survives stress testing (cd
/usr/src/linux && make -j 100 :-) ) without locking up.

Yeah, isolated computational load is a very different situation from
booting up -- where we have heavy parallel kernel module load, device
initialization, and service startup going on.

If possible, try, if removing:
quiet
and adding:
systemd.log_level=debug systemd.log_target=kmsg
to the kernel commandline reveals something on the console.

It might slow down the bootup enough, so that it works-- or it might
show where it hangs.

Hehe. Once I use the above settings, systemd seems to boot perfectly, at
least for the last two boots. Without it the machine hangs with or
without a kernel panic message on screen during the boot or right after
the login: prompt is printed.
Bye,
CzP