Re: [opensuse-factory] Feature Request for 11.4
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 09:47:51 +0100
On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 09:17, Peter Nikolic wrote:
This is by the way of an feature request .

I as many other do have a laptop  that has wired   and wireless networking as
standard  but sometimes i need to use a Mobile broadband dongal  USB  what is
needed is an easy way to completely stop the wired and wireless networking to
use the mobile system    , The reason for this is that if wireless is
disconnected but enabled  then you can not get a route via the mobile
connection   you have to completely disable the wireless to use the mobile
and easy way to do this is a much needed addition  a means of picking which
networking device is active .

Might be worth noting that this is a general issue that affects
networking on more than just openSUSE. I've experienced the same
issue on other current Linux distributions and on both Gnome and KDE4.
Routing to the connected UMTS stick does not happen unless WiFi is
explicitly (manually) disabled before connecting the UMTS stick. This
is different behaviour than with the current eth and wlan behaviour
where the OS smoothly switches between whichever is available.

C.