Re: [opensuse-factory] Language selection and keyboard during installation - questions for all English installing users
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 16:56:51 +0100
Ludwig Nussel wrote:

The timezone screen currently is the third IIRC so it's too late
there. Maybe the map (and only the map) should be made the first
screen instead. Based on what country the user chooses a second
screen could suggest language, keyboard and time zone. The default
selection for the map could indeed be based on geolocation, it's
just a hint that can be changed easily after all.

I think it might make sense to put the map, and the initial guess of
language, keyboard and locale on one page altogether. It's not a lot
of information and it's all pertinent to the individual user.

For the geolocation, I think we'll need to use an external query, e.g.
via http. (http://geo.jessen.ch/) Many users are connected via NAT,
so a direct lookup based on the IP of a NIC would not suffice.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (-1.4°C)