Re: [opensuse-factory] Language selection and keyboard during installation - questions for all English installing users
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 16:15:26 +0100
On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 16:09, Stephan Kulow wrote:
Eeeek!  No.. not geolocation :-(  That "technology" is the bane of my
existence.  It can never get it right for me as an English speaker
living in Germany.  I already have to special-order my keyboards from

I guess as English speaker living in Germany you got used to find the
"English" button on web pages, so I don't see this as valid objection against
making it easier for the other >80 million germans.

My objection is not that I don't want to click on the English button..
it's that so many web sites depend on the geolocation instead of
browser language preference... which is the "right" way to do it.
Also.. so many international websites that are localised see I'm in
Germany, switch to German and do not give me an opportunity to switch
to English... no English button anywhere (no flag, no language
selection dropdown), and if I force the issue and set EN in the URL in
place of DE, it just switches back to DE.

But this is outside the thread... and not going to be resolved here
since it's nothing to do with openSUSE.

C.