Re: [opensuse-factory] Language selection and keyboard during installation - questions for all English installing users
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 12:01:03 +0100
On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 10:36, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
There's in bugzilla a user from Australia. Currently during installation,
you choose a language at the first screen and then automatically the
keyboard is changed to the primary keyboard for that language.

He and others from Australia install with language "English (UK)" but uses
an US keyboard - and apparently the US keyboard is common in most of the
commonwealth.

I've got the smae issue... my workaround is to use US keyboard, and US
language setting so that my keyboard map is correct... and I put up
with the wrong (aka US) spellings of words. I can "get away with
this" because I learned to spell in Canada where we like to be
schizophrenic about spelling and use both US and UK rules... I
definitely cannot use the OS properly if I chose UK English and get a
UK keyboard assigned... it's just enough different on the keymap that
it messes things up (makes it very hard to use at least with a US
keyboard layout).

Is this a common problem? Should we change it - and has anybody a good idea
on how to change it?

I'd consider it a common problem for all English speaking countries
outside of the US and UK, since as is noted in the bug report... we
all standardised on US keyboards and UK spelling (for the most part...
Canada is a hybrid of US and UK spelling).

Does this affect countries like the Netherlands where they also use US
keyboards... but you can get NL keyboards if you really want.... (I've
seen one.. once).

I see right now the following options:
1) Leave everything as is and close the bugreport as WONTFIX.
2) Handle "English (UK)" special and use the "English US" keyboard.
3) Do not change keyboard at all.
4) Add some more locales, like "English (AU)" that use English (UK) as
language but English US keyboard.

This might be the best solution overall... but how many variants do
you add? English (AU), (CA), (KE), (NI), (IN) etc etc? I think it
might be better to add a single variant that somehow indicates English
(UK) with English (US) keyboard since in most Commonwealth country
cases, the country specific English is, as stated in the bug report,
all UK based (eg Kenya uses UK spelling on US keyboards exactly as
Australia does.. but there's no gain in having multiple locales with
the same settings). How about English International? (or something
similar)

C.