Re: [opensuse-factory] Codecs, a suggestion
  • From: Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 09:26:45 -0800
On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 06:18:51PM +0100, Juergen Weigert wrote:
On Nov 22, 10 08:44:41 -0800, Greg KH wrote:
- 'I am openSUSE NN.N architecture AAA, I need a package that provides
PPP (or that handles mimetype MMM, which is only a special form of
a provides symbol), and my prefered desktop is KKK, and any other
relevant info, a user might want to expose. Maybe the list of my
enabled repos too ...
The response would be a list of
- 1-click URLs, offering a choice of packages,
sorted by relevance to the given information and by votes (!).

We almost do this already today with the "you are trying to play a codec
I don't understand, do you want me to search for it" message you get.

Telling our users, where stuff is, is nothing illegal by itself.
It just needs to be neutral. To avoid any risks, I would not ask
Novell to host such an engine. I'd look in the direction of webpin (to
demonstrate that this is a community driven engine).

So you can get a third party to accept this risk? Good luck with that :)

Actually, I am trying to find out where the risk really is.
Google produces all kinds of links, and they don't appear to be responsible
what is offered at the sites they link to.
So why couldn't a software search engine do the same?
Assumed it is sufficiently large and serves as a 'general purpose' dependency
resolution engine, the risk is low that someone can take it down for
serving a link to a software package where the user needs to have
additional licenses.

Saying publically what software can be found where, should be possible under
most jurisdications. No?

Most, yes. All, no.

Anyway, this all is just theoretical, sorry.

good luck,

greg k-h