Re: [opensuse-factory] Codecs
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajh@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 14:07:20 +0100
On Sunday 21 November 2010, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 13:19:05 +0100

Martin Schlander <martin.schlander@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Most people think 1-click is some form of black magic - they don't
understand it's just rpms and repositories, exactly like a manual
install - only a bit easier.

No. The last few times I tried 1-click installs I always got loads of
packages installed that had nothing to do with the stuff that should have
been installed with the one-click thing. And I had no way to stop it from
doing that, no "summary screen" that asked me if I wanted to install all
that crap or anything.

I haven't seen that. The only unwanted packages I've gotten installed are
debuginfo/debugsource packages, which zypper seems to install for all packages
whenever I install anything from non-standard repos. YaST doesn't, as far as I
can tell, only zypper

There is a summary screen though, or do you just click "next" through all
screens without looking at them. You get to a screen where you can modify your
selection, and if you do you get to the normal YaST package manager where you
can deselect anything to your heart's content

Anyway, it *is* scary black magic, and people should avoid it like the
plague if they don't want random crap installed on their machine.

dict:random

If the packages you get installed are mentioned in config files you have
installed, it's not random. But perhaps there should be a way of saying "no
recommended packages" in the 1-click as well.

And if the packages recommended by the packagers aren't good or useful,
complain to the people writing the spec files.

Anders