Re: [opensuse-factory] Codecs
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajh@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 14:07:20 +0100
On Sunday 21 November 2010, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 13:19:05 +0100

Martin Schlander <martin.schlander@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Most people think 1-click is some form of black magic - they don't
understand it's just rpms and repositories, exactly like a manual
install - only a bit easier.

No. The last few times I tried 1-click installs I always got loads of
packages installed that had nothing to do with the stuff that should have
been installed with the one-click thing. And I had no way to stop it from
doing that, no "summary screen" that asked me if I wanted to install all
that crap or anything.

I haven't seen that. The only unwanted packages I've gotten installed are
debuginfo/debugsource packages, which zypper seems to install for all packages
whenever I install anything from non-standard repos. YaST doesn't, as far as I
can tell, only zypper

There is a summary screen though, or do you just click "next" through all
screens without looking at them. You get to a screen where you can modify your
selection, and if you do you get to the normal YaST package manager where you
can deselect anything to your heart's content

Anyway, it *is* scary black magic, and people should avoid it like the
plague if they don't want random crap installed on their machine.

If the packages you get installed are mentioned in config files you have
installed, it's not random. But perhaps there should be a way of saying "no
recommended packages" in the 1-click as well.

And if the packages recommended by the packagers aren't good or useful,
complain to the people writing the spec files.