Re: [opensuse-factory] Codecs
  • From: Stefan Seyfried <stefan.seyfried@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 13:57:01 +0100
On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 13:19:05 +0100
Martin Schlander <martin.schlander@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Most people think 1-click is some form of black magic - they don't understand
it's just rpms and repositories, exactly like a manual install - only a bit
easier.

No. The last few times I tried 1-click installs I always got loads of
packages installed that had nothing to do with the stuff that should have
been installed with the one-click thing. And I had no way to stop it from
doing that, no "summary screen" that asked me if I wanted to install all
that crap or anything.

Probably because I have the habit to always run "zypper up
--no-recommends" because I usually do not want the recommended stuff, and
the 1-click pulled in all the recommended packages of the last years.

Anyway, it *is* scary black magic, and people should avoid it like the
plague if they don't want random crap installed on their machine.

Yes, I know. Ubuntu users would not care about the random crap. But I do.
--
Stefan Seyfried

"Any ideas, John?"
"Well, surrounding them's out."