Re: [opensuse-factory] Codecs
  • From: Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 16:28:38 -0800
On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 05:40:18PM -0500, Roman Bysh wrote:
On 11/19/2010 05:15 PM, İsmail Dönmez wrote:
Hi;

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 9:54 PM, Jeff Mahoney <jeffm@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

So -- since we KNOW the the Packman repository contains all the plugins
necessary to make gstreamer work as everyone sane expects, can we please
do something about automating this?

Indeed, think about a fully working mplayer, ffmpeg, x264 etc. too. We
could write an app to install all that and keep it up to date via
packman repository. IANAL but I think this would be legal.

Regards,
ismail

If legal is worrying about the 1-click. How about first-time start up of
mplayer or playing a media file will show a message:

One moment. Mplayer is downloading the necessary files for you to view
your media.....

Sorry, but no, according to the lawyers we are not allowed to do
something like that.

We have done about as much as we are able to do at this time,
unfortunately.

thanks,

greg k-h