[opensuse-factory] glibc plans for 11.4
  • From: Petr Baudis <pasky@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 13:41:36 +0100
Hi!

My original plan has been to have glibc-2.13 in 11.4, however it is
still completely unclear when will it be actually released. In case it
is not soon enough, I would prefer to stay with glibc-2.11 in 11.4
instead of upgrading to glibc-2.12.

Downsides are not terribly huge:

- Missing these:

* New interfaces: pthread_getname_np, pthread_setname_np
* New Linux interface: recvmmsg
* STT_GNU_IFUNC implemented for Sparc by David Miller.
* The dynamic linker now recognizes supported ABI versions from
the EI_ABIVERSION field in the ELF header.
* New locales: kok_IN, sq_MK, cv_RU

- Missing few more SSE string routine ifuncs. This can be also
regarded as a plus since there are probably still some bugs
lingering within, but it means SUSE won't be part of the testing
process...

Upsides:

- 2.11 stable branch is getting a lot more bugfixes than 2.12 stable
branch, therefore it should be less buggy and this gap will still
widen over time

- 2.11 is also better tested

- Easier maintenance for me ;-)

Does anyone have an opinion either way?

And when would be the last suitable moment for glibc-2.13 entering
Factory?

Thanks,

--
Petr "Pasky" Baudis
The true meaning of life is to plant a tree under whose shade