[opensuse-factory] Moving glib libraries to /lib instead of /usr/lib
  • From: Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 14:39:39 +0200
Hi,

Kay requested that we install glib libraries (libglib, libgmodule,
libgthread, libgobject and libgio) in /lib instead of /usr/lib as some
of the early init action will need glib.

It turns out that glib has a --with-runtime-libdir configure flag that
builds glib in /usr/lib but moves the non-devel libraries (*.so.*) to
the specific director. This would work fine as glib only links to
libraries living in /lib already.

I quickly looked at that and the only downside is that the gio modules
and all the gsettings API (from libgio) cannot be used if /usr is not
available. I don't expect anything to use those during the early stage
of the boot process, so it should be okay.

(Alternatively, we can choose to keep libgio in /usr/lib, but it could
well be used, so...)

Any opinion on this?

Vincent

--