Re: [opensuse-factory] patterns-openSUSE-lxde -> openbox
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 13:39:29 +0200 (CEST)

On Monday, 2010-10-04 at 13:40 +0200, Guido Berhoerster wrote:

* Felix Miata <> [2010-10-04 12:14]:

The way I understand it, they are related in that both are necessary for X to
work at all, while it's easy to forget they are not one and the same. Putting
the two settings in the same config file would both make it clear that there
is a difference, while also reminding there is a difference.

I don't know if startx is still supposed to work on openSUSE, if
it does then you can even do without any login manager at all.

Note that a login manager is mainly a graphical interface
allowing users to log in in whereas the window manager runs in
the users session and, well, manages windows. You can change
the window manager without logging out and you can run X without
a window manager at all (although that is probably not very
useful).

But what I really meant above is that you can use any of LXDM,
KDM, GDM, or XDM as your login manager together with LXDE (and I
would recommend GDM).

Not that simple...

Once upon a time, there was a Bugzilla I reported, about some feature not working in gnome or kde.

It turned out that I was using XDM as login manager (simpler, no kde/gnome libs), and that gnome/kde did not work properly because of that. There was a new feature needed taht XDM did not have.

(I'm vague on the details, because I don't remember them)

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)