[opensuse-factory] How to get R-base into Factory?
  • From: "Detlef Steuer" <Detlef.Steuer@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 09:22:32 +0200
Hi all!

yesterday I received a request to put R-base (the statistics package) into
Factory.
Another package named Cantor seems to depend on R in Factory.

I'm willing to put R into Factory and keep it current and running in there.
But: I was totally unaware of "Factory" as something different from
building against opensuse:Factory what I do all the time.

I read the available documents but a few questions remain:
Do I need a _new_, additional repository for R-base?

It lives in devel:languages:R and its subprojects now.

Or can I just use that and send osc submitrequests after someone (who?)
accepts R-base into Factory.

One problem I see with R-base is the release schedule.
Is there any problem in releasing the latest R as I do now?
Normally we have releases around Oct 16th and April 16th. At the moment I am
providing the latest R to all Suse-releases on which it compiles.

I understand the reasoning behind keeping the version number fixed following a
release, but I would expect that happens more or less through freezing for GM
and all other developement untouched?
Is this correct?

What to do now?
My plan regarding R-base would be to wait till R-2.12.0 is released (Oct 16th)
and afterwards put some effort to clean up the build process (there are some
warnings etc ...) and at the same time get it into Factory.

Can you give any advise from your side what is easiest (and best) to get it
into Factory?

Detlef