Re: [opensuse-factory] Replacing ancient packages with current packages
  • From: "Dominique Leuenberger" <Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 17:46:11 +0200
On 09/14/2010 at 5:30 PM, Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm not a programmer. The time I would spend learning how would be time not
spent doing what I already know how to do - finding Factory bugs and
reporting them - so I'll have to pass on the OBS stuff. I already have a
major shortage of round tuits as it is.

For most packages you do not have to be a programmer. If you manage to use
./configure
make
make install

on your machine, in many cases you are able to build a package out of it.

Just have a look at a very old blog post:
http://dominique.leuenberger.net/blog/?p=5

It DOES work very often (not always.. but hey.. nothing is always the same).

For package updates, if the package is not cluttered with dozens of patches,
very often it's not more than:
- Branching in obs
- Adding the new tarball, removing the old one
- Chaning the version number in the .spec file
- Writing the .changes entry

None of this requires ANY programmatic skill. (and for some parts we have nice
plugins to osc, called collab)

Dminique