[opensuse-factory] RFC: fixing /usr on NFS
  • From: Guido Berhoerster <gber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 14:08:29 +0200

I've just done some experiment booting with /usr mounted via NFS,
it basically works but there are some issues. A major issue
seems to be that nothing provides the $remote_fs facility, I
think this could be done using a dummy script which requires all
remote filesystems such as nfs and cifs. Any better ideas where
to put that?

The following init scripts (in a standard install) have some
issues:

* boot.storage-fixup: requires /usr/sbin/storage\-fixup,
/usr/sbin/dmidecode, /usr/bin/sg_inq on /usr
* either skip when /usr is not available or move
/usr/sbin/storage-fixup, /usr/sbin/dmidecode,
/usr/bin/sg_inq to /sbin
* boot.startprerun: requires /usr/bin/staprun
* fails gracefully, optional
* boot.cycle: requires /usr/sbin/grub
* move /usr/sbin/grub to /sbin
* SuSEfirewall2_init fails, needs iptables in /usr
* change nfs to explicitly call "SuSEfirewall2_init start"
after mounting /usr so it gets run as early as possible
* dbus: service files in /usr/share/dbus-1/ not available
* dbus seems to discover these when needed later
* haldaemon: fails without /usr
* will die anyway, require $remote_fs
* cifs: wants en_US locale
* require nfs to ensure /usr is mounted

Regarding udev I have not been able to find any script
dependencies on /usr and I'd be glad to hear from the maintainers
where the actual problems are.

I also noted that some essential shell utilities from coreutils get
installed in /usr/bin rather than /bin which causes init scripts
to fail. According to what criteria are the utilities ssplit
between /usr/bin and /bin?

All in all this seems to be doable without too much effort, if
nobody objects I'll look into fixing this as outlined above.
--
Guido Berhoerster