Re: [opensuse-factory] Problem with openSUSE 11.3 for systems with Broadcom BCM4312
  • From: Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 01:50:03 -0700
On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 09:37:52PM -0400, Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:
Ah yes, I forgot that you would rather that companies give up their IP
then you accommodate them in the kernel. Sorry.

Hm, so you are stating that for some reason the IP of a single tiny
driver superseeds the license of the 10 million lines of kernel code
that surround it?

On what legal, moral, or technical grounds can you possibly make that
justification?

Violating "Novell's public position" does not make using "closed source
binary" kernel modules illegal.

I have never stated that "using" a closed driver is illegal, the GPLv2
does not say anything about usage. The issue comes into play when the
code is distributed, which is what is happening right now on
build.opensuse.org, and in that case, it is violation of both Novell's
publically stated policy, and Brodcom's license on their code as well.

If you do not want others to provide "closed source binary" modules
provide a viable (working) alternative. I was not aware that the
kernel was *your* personal creative work to copyright.

Some of the kernel api calls that the Brodcom driver makes are ones that
I have personal copyright on, as well as sharing copyright by companies
that I work for and have worked for in the past.

thanks,

greg k-h