Re: [opensuse-factory] Problem with openSUSE 11.3 for Netbooks with Broadcom BCM4312
  • From: Larry Finger <Larry.Finger@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 17:25:52 -0500
On 07/11/2010 03:03 PM, Peter Nikolic wrote:
Hi .

I just got to pipe in here

Being one of the ones that have an affected broadcom wifi card in my laptop
and no means of connecting it via a wired connection it seems this makes it a
show stopper hence it needs to be intorduced into the up comming release of
11.3

This problem will NOT affect a laptop. It only applies to Netbooks with Atom processors. Note: if you have the DMA problem, that has not yet been fixed in any kernel!

That is a problematic configuration anyway. Without a wired connection or another wireless device, you will have a problem getting the firmware, which cannot be distributed with openSUSE by terms of the Broadcom copyright. How are you handling that device now?

I recommend that you use the /usr/sbin/install_bcm43xx_firmware script to get the firmware, and then copy the files in /lib/firmware/b43 onto your /home if you save it during the installation, or onto a USB stick. In addition, I can email you the patched ssb.ko to be installed onto your system.

Larry