Re: [opensuse-factory] Kerneloops with kernel head repo and 11.2 system
  • From: Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 14:29:06 -0700
On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 10:05:06PM +0100, Richard (MQ) wrote:

The laptop doesn't have a serial port. Should I be able to use usb to
serial converter?

http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt suggests
ttyUSB0 should be valid but I've never tried it (yet). Let us know if it
works!

For an oops, no, it will not work. You need interrupts to get USB to
work properly, and a usb-to-serial console device needs interrupts to
get the console data out.

Oh, and the usb-to-serial-console code was written as a drunken bet one
night, don't rely on it always working properly. It has gotten a lot
better recently, but there are still some issues for some devices with
it.

thanks,

greg k-h