Re: [opensuse-factory] are all iso images hybrid images?
  • From: Robert Schweikert <rschweikert@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 09:48:40 -0400

On 05/27/2010 02:34 AM, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
On Wed, 26 May 2010 16:33:58 -0400
Robert Schweikert <rschweikert@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Are all the ISO images for M7 hybrid images?

You can run isohybrid on any recent (< 1 year?) openSUSE CD/DVD image to
make it a hybrid image. Worked for me the last few times I tried it over
the last year.

Thanks, this worked.

After the inintial start up I ended up in an ncurses interface with the
message "Make sure CD number 1 is in your drive.". Using "Back" and the
ensuing menus I was able to get the install system running.

During system analysis things break:

"The partitioning on disk /dev/sdc is not readable by the partitioning
tool parted, which is used to change the partition table.

Where sdc is the USB stick.

Clicking "OK" leads to a new dialog with the following message.

"Unable to create repository from URL 'hd:/?device=/dev/sdc1'.

Empty destination in URI: hd:///?device=/dev/sdc1

Try again?

To create the stick I used

# isohybrid openSUSE-DVD-Build0625-i586.iso
# dd if=openSUSE-DVD-Build0625-i586.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=32

When inserting the stick into a running system I can see the stick
having 1 partition (sdc1). When mounting the partition I see the
"regular" structure I expect to see in an ISO image.

The target install drive is /dev/sda, which has 3 partitions.

(The older ones did not always recognise the ISO on the USB stick as an
installation source, so you could only use them to install from the
network IIRC)

Software Engineer Consultant LINUX

Making IT Work As One