Re: [opensuse-factory] Insatllation on Geode systems
  • From: Larry Stotler <larrystotler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 14:40:42 -0400
On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 4:08 AM, Richard (MQ) <osl2008@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've been having lots of problems installing the 11.3 milestones on a
Geode based Panel PC. This is a reasonably recent machine (purchased
2008) albeit low spec - 500MHz CPU, 1G RAM and 8G CF card. Built-in WiFi
and Bluetooth, though the vt6655 module for these seems very buggy
(#597299).

The latest issue I'm facing is that the display auto-configuration gets
it wrong - the text during boot is legible (mode 0x315, display is
800x600 native) but later splits to two different (but possibly related)
problems:
Text consoles (Control-Alt-F1 etc) show just a mass of near-random
colours, like my old Sinclair spectrum did when it overheated. However,
the system hasn't crashed:
Control-Alt-F7 takes me to XFCE (lightweight desktop) which runs OK,
except that the display resolution seems wrong and the title bar of each
window is corrupt.
Looking at /var/log/messages/Xorg.log gives few clues, the Geode LX
video chipset seems to be recognised and at 800x600, but I don't know
where else to look. Nothing obvious in Bugzilla searching for Geode etc.
Has anyone any suggestions before I open another bug?

What's the video chipset? I remember a lot of problems with the ATI
chips in the old Powerbooks with the Mac64 chips.

See if you can install SaX2. It's supposed to still be there even tho
it's been depreciated. Good luck.