Re: [opensuse-factory] Firefox updated by zypper
  • From: Donn Washburn <n5xwb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 07:48:17 -0500

On 04/20/2010 11:33 PM, Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote:
Donn,

Am 21.04.2010 04:43, schrieb Donn Washburn:

I have again found that openSuSE's version of Firefox is missing
functionality. It is missing many file.so or atleast the count of files
differs.

Aehm? What did you compare exactly? I'm not aware of anything that could
be missing (and would be possible to enable).
Could you please list some examples?

Download Firefox from mozilla.org, install it and things work.
And example of the lack of function is from Thunderbird call up a URL
from an email. openSuSE's version of Firefox fails to come up but
mozilla's version comes right up and displays the URL that is quoted in
an email.

Works for me. First we need to know that you are blaming the Firefox
package correctly here. Can you confirm that Firefox is called at all
when you click at these links? (Since Firefox startup takes long you
should be able to see something in the process list).
How does "your" Thunderbird call firefox then? Which Thunderbird is it?
Have you told Thunderbird anything about what the URL handler is?
Your example doesn't point to Firefox primarily but to some local config
issue.

I'm willing to help and fix any issues but I'd need your help to figure
out if it's an issue at all.

Thanks,
Wolfgang

Thunderbird is 3.1b1 Firefox 3.6.3 as of this time. Both work without any noted problem on a i586 machine. So do all of the plugins in /usr/lib/browser-plugins

I would love to count the difference but it has been replaced. This started after a zypper up/dup and mozilla-firefox was up dated according to the screen and was working. I then went to "X" and via an email clicked on a quoted website and firefox would not come up. I had a copy of Firefox which was cp -R firefox/* /usr/lib/firefox after removing everything in /usr/lib/firefox except firefox.sh. And again Firefox pulls up/tranfers the Thunderbird request for a website.

I could clear /usr/lib/firefox and again reload with zypper or yast2 mozilla-firefox - if needed

--
73 de Donn Washburn
307 Savoy Street Email:" n5xwb@xxxxxxxxxxx "