Re: [opensuse-factory] should Office pattern NOT install openoffice?
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 19:46:29 -0500
On Monday 29 March 2010 12:24:54 Karsten König wrote:

You can create a lightweight office pattern and/or use it for the live cd,
but adding such nonobvious behaviour to the office pattern is
contraproductive.

I use KDE, but it was long ago that I installed Koffice as office suite and
even then it was just to try it out.

DE as condition to install "appropriate" software including office is not good
idea from user point of view. Using lightweight desktop doesn't reveal the
reasons for that. I can choose light desktop to make room in RAM, or ease CPU
load, or compensate for old graphic card, but still want to run my favorite
software not the one provided by desktop.

Having pattern "LXDE office" that will be dependency only for pattern "All of
LXDE", but not "LXDE base" is good idea. To make it universally applicable the
name should be "Light office", so other desktop patterns can reuse it.

--
Regards Rajko,