Re: [opensuse-factory] should Office pattern NOT install openoffice?
  • From: Karsten König <remur@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 19:24:54 +0200
Am Montag, 29. März 2010 20:09:28 schrieb Andrea Florio:
let me try to explain it better...
a user, open yast and select "office pattern"
it expect to install office applications that fit his DE.
actually that pattern always install OO.o

imho, it should work as following

the user select "office pattern",
if DE = kde --> patterns-openSUSE-kde_office
if DE = gnome --> patterns-openSUSE-gnome_office
if DE = xfce --> patterns-openSUSE-xfce_office
if DE = lxde --> patterns-openSUSE-lxde_office

where of course, gnome and kde install OO.o and lxde (and maybe even
xfce) will install lighter solutions like abiword,gnumeric ecc

That should solve even "tipical user" problem, because they use usually
kde/gnome, but also fix all the other users that if use xfce/lxde of
course do not want the heavy OO.o

i hope is a little bit more clear now.

I understood it that way, but will you install that based on the current
running DE? because you can always install multiple DEs, so you can't querry
for that.
I think this will be confusing to people, let's say I used KDE before and now
install LXDE on another system I want "office" to be the same on both without
surprises.

You can create a lightweight office pattern and/or use it for the live cd, but
adding such nonobvious behaviour to the office pattern is contraproductive.

Karsten