Re: [opensuse-factory] openSUSE 11.3 themes and features
  • From: Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 11:29:24 -0800
On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 08:01:02PM +0100, Clayton wrote:
On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 18:02, Michael Loeffler <michl@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
- Plymouth for splash #305493 (we don't think there is much benefit in)

That's a shame. OK, it's a shiny feature, but it's a shiny feature
that adds a significant level of polish to the boot sequence.

The real goal should be to boot so fast you don't need a spash screen.
Look at the Goblin builds (openSUSE Moblin), everything happens within
15 seconds, so a custom splash sequence would only slow things down (it
really does, we have measured the thing...)

What we need to do is get the Moblin changes into the main openSUSE
repo, which we are slowly getting accomplished.

thanks,

greg k-h