Re: [opensuse-factory] [ANNOUNCE] Will update PackageKit to 0.6.1 in Factory next week
  • From: Marcus Meissner <meissner@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 13:09:50 +0100
On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 12:13:19PM +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:
Hi,

Looking at the git log from PackageKit, it looks like Scott managed to
fix the build of the zypp backend -- which was the reason we were stuck
with an old PackageKit (0.5.1).

So we'll put the next release of PackageKit in Factory (0.6.1, due next
week, I think). Note that this changes the API (at least deprecated API
were removed) and therefore will possibly break tools using PackageKit
that were not prepared for this. You can take a look at the NEWS file
for more details:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/packagekit/tree/NEWS

As far as I know, there are two major consumers of PackageKit:
gnome-packagekit (which should be fine) and the KDE update applet (no
idea what the status is here).

Is it an option to not update PackageKit? Not really: the version we
have is old, not really maintained, and my guess is that we'll soon have
tools that will require the new stuff there.

Actually the one who breaks stuff should fix it...

Or at least evaluate on what breaks before the update (in a test project).

Ciao, Marcus