Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: [opensuse-packaging] is ghostscript able to be updated to 8.70 was GPL v3 question
  • From: Joerg.Schilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Joerg Schilling)
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 12:19:50 +0100
Dave Plater <davejplater@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If they add "or later" to their licensing statement their problem dissapears,
I've noticed that the top of the chart in gnu.orgs faq only
has a column for GPLv3 or later and LGPLv3 or later. Omni's license is
LGPLv2.1 or later and it is included in the build of the ghostscript
(GPLv3) package's ghostscript-omni, what do I put in the spec file under
License:, "GPLv3" or "LGPLv2.1 or later"

The problem is that the German law (and probably all European law systems as
well) forbid you to sign a contract where you don't know the conditions at the
time you sign.

Any OSS project that includes German developers (and this affects most)
and that did not publish a new release _after_ GPLv3 did came out thus
cannot be put under GPLv3 - even if it claims "GPLv2 or any later".

Jörg

--
EMail:joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
js@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (uni)