[opensuse-factory] Re: [opensuse-packaging] is ghostscript able to be updated to 8.70 was GPL v3 question
  • From: Dave Plater <davejplater@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 07:44:12 +0200
On 01/16/2010 03:48 PM, Marcus Meissner wrote:
On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 03:33:28PM +0200, Dave Plater wrote:

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 02:20:13PM +0200, Dave Plater wrote:

Hi, I've come across my first license problem with ghostscript-8.70, it
has switched to GPL v3. There are a lot of packages that depend on
ghostscript, lilypond being one and apparently TeXLive sub packages. How
are problems like this resolved. Having an old ghostscript version isn't
good for attracting people to the distro. I'm totally in the dark about
these things but as a packager I need to know about them.

As long as the program calls "gs" via system it is just use and does
not impose license requirements the calling programs.

Most of those programs do it that way.

I am not aware that ghostscript exposes libraries?

I am not aware that ghostscript exposes libraries?

Yes, it does -lgs and -lijs, package ghostscript-library

The above is added for the factory list

This post follows :-

I have a complete gs-8.70 package waiting to be submitted but what
happens in a case like this? Is ghostscript doomed to packman or even
worse out of linux altogether or is there a way of sorting this issue
out. Fedora already has gs-8.70, maybe they overlooked the fact that the
license had changed. It would take a few linux distros to make the
ghostscript people change back to v2.
List of affected files, I can find :-
Uses gs_lib : capi4hylafax, hylafax

Those will just call the binary, so it is "use".

Uses pstoraster : gutenprint

same.

Uses libgs.so : foomatic-filters, libspectre1
Uses libijs.so: gutenprint

foomatic-filters is GPLv2 or later (so I think it can use GPLv3 libraries).
libspectre same.
gutenprint same.

I will try to find a verbal statement from our license guys next week, but
to my not so trained eyes it looks fine to do.

Ciao, Marcus

I've done some research and gnu.org has a chart which states that GPLv2
only, take note they specify only so I'm not sure if the license needs
to state only, is incompatible with any GPLv3 or LGPLv3 license.
Libspectre is fine because it has a statement in it's README that says
"GPLv2 or later" which is compatible. Foomatic-filters on the other hand
doesn't state anything other than "copyright (C) 1994, 1995, 1996, 1999,
2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005 Free Software Foundation, Inc." and has a
copy of GPLv2, so whether this implies later or only is something for
the legal department. Looking at the chart GPLv2 only isn't 100%
compatible with any other license. Foomatic-filters cannot exist without
libgs so if there is a problem they need to address it.
Regards
Dave P