Re: [opensuse-factory] Kernel Mode Setting (KMS) for openSUSE.
  • From: Robert Kaiser <KaiRo@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 13:31:46 +0100
Egbert Eich wrote:
Since we don't support KMS for anything but Intel at this moment I have
not looked into this more deeply.

As I have now read that the 2.6.33 kernel includes the nouveau driver and supports KMS for it as well, is there a plan for shipping at least the 2D driver for X as well? (though I read that with some cards, X.org server 1.7 is recommended for nouveau - do we have plans for that in 11.3?)

From what I gather, other distros seem to have been shipping nouveau for some time now, and we would be able to support KMS for all major cards, which might be a good idea overall.

Of course, I'm just a humble Factory and NVidia user, spending my time on an unrelated upstream project (SeaMonkey), so I can only ask, hope and watch - but as a project manager, I understand that things aren't always as easy as they sound in the first place. ;-)

Robert Kaiser