Re: [opensuse-factory] Kernel Mode Setting (KMS) for openSUSE.
  • From: Egbert Eich <eich@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 12:25:21 +0100
On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 01:41:57PM +0100, Stefan Seyfried wrote:

Hi Stefan,

sorry for the late answer.

Hi Egbert,

might be a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway ;)

Running plain FACTORY (without your fancy kernel package etc.), I can
boot with "vga=0", then when the system is running (in runlevel 3), I
can "modprobe radeon modeset=1" and I will get a beautiful 1400x1050
framebuffer.

Then I can start X ("X :0 -retro") and get a nice X server. However,
switching back to the text console seems to blank the screen shortly,
and I still get the occasional "synchronization loss" on the built-in
panel (Matthias knows what I'm talking about). Switching VT to X and
back still solves this (phew! we anticipated that with kms, once the
pll is screwed there would be no way to recover short of a reboot).

This is strange and shouldn't happen at least when using the radeon driver.
Since we don't support KMS for anything but Intel at this moment I have
not looked into this more deeply.
If X and the console have the same resolution there shouldn't be any
flicker.

So I guess that KMS is not working well in this setup, since some PLL
is still reprogrammed (and sometimes this fails).

All on an oldish ATI Technologies Inc RV350 [Mobility Radeon 9600 M10]

Now I wanted to put the module in the initrd, however, loading it from
"init=/bin/bash" (I tried that first, just to make sure) gives me a
kernel backtrace and basically kills the box.

Also strange. Is this because you still need to load an AGP module?

Cheers,
Egbert.

--
Egbert Eich (Res. & Dev.) SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
X Window System Development