Re: [opensuse-factory] Hardware enablement in kernel updates
  • From: Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 09:32:56 -0800
On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 11:20:21AM -0600, Larry Finger wrote:
On 12/14/2009 07:09 PM, Jeff Mahoney wrote:

I think this is a good idea. The current policy heavily penalizes the
user whose hardware was supported by the kernel that was released just
after the distro was frozen. Most of my activity is with wireless
drivers, which have many changes with each kernel release, as well as
manufacturers releasing new hardware on a regular basis.

For me, kernel 2.6.32 is much more usable than 2.6.31 because one of
my devices is a Broadcom BCM4312. It must be said, however, that the
changes needed to support that chip are likely to be too invasive to
fit under your guidelines. That will be the hardest part of
implementing the proposed changes - how invasive can the changes be?

Does your proposed new policy automatically exclude those drivers in
staging?

I hope not, as the driver I wanted to add is in the staging directory :)

thanks,

greg k-h